Own The Day, Own Your Life summary
Helpfully, each chapter in the book covers a specific action in a day. The actions are organised chronologically, so you start from waking up and end with sleep. There are summary points at the end the chapter, so that's what I'll be primarily drawing from for this summary.
- To optimise circadian rhythm, add light and movement in the first 20 minutes of waking up.
- We get dehydrated overnight. Drink the morning mineral cocktail to rehydrate the body with water and electrolytes.
- Kick start your morning with intention to set the day off on a positive trajectory.
Deep breathing and the cold
- Acute stress will help you adapt and become stronger through hormesis. This is one of the best ways of dealing with chronic stress.
- Cold exposure is a great source of acute stress. It also helps you develop resilience and perseverance.
- Intentional deep breahthing (like the Wim Hof method) helps you adapt to acute stressors and kill chronic stress.
- Too much sugar in our diet is detrimental to human health. Minimise sugar (in all its non-complex forms) to manage blood sugar swings.
- Add dietary fat, starting with breakfast, to restore metabolic health and optimise weight management.
- If you don't have good fats and proteins available, skip breakfast (intermittent fasting - great for weight loss and longevity).
- Get the right amount of sleep, sun and food. This is the first line of defense.
- Key things to consider supplementing are greens, probiotics, B vitamins, krill oil, vitamin D and additional minerals.
- Not all dietary supplements are created equal - use natural forms where possible.
- Make your commute "alive time" - where you are growing, learning and improving.
- Check out podcasts or audiobooks.
- Practice greater presence by using conscious breathing techniques and mindfulness practices.
- Caffeine alleviates sleepiness and improves your mood. Use natural plant sources, make sure you're aware of your circadian clock and blend with fats to help slow down its release in your body.
- Nicotine can be beneficial to focus, attention and the enjoyment of your day. The problem is with delivery - don't inhale smoke. Use other means like vaping and absorption through gums or skin.
- Nootropics can assist with memory and cognitive performance. Huperzia serrata is a good place to start.
- Know your mission. This will help you flourish at work, even in challenging situations.
- Cultivate optimal conditions for yourself within your environment by paying attention to posture, movement and the energetic and olfactory conditions of your work space.
- Working efficiently means accomplishing your best work with the minimum amount of resistance. You need to learn how to minimise distractions, say no and prioritize well.
- Instead of counting calories, focus on nutrients. Eat plenty of proteins, fats and fiber.
- Get micronutrients by eating a diverse diet filled with "weird" foods.
- Avoid antinutrients like processed, refined, fried and artificial foods and colourings.
Binaural power nap
- Naps are one of the most effective ways to stay alert and perform at a high level.
- Binaural beats help you get the benefits of napping without having to fully fall asleep. By entraining your brain waves to more restorative patterns, you activate that restorative parasympathetic response you're looking for.
- Admit when you're tired and get comfortable with napping during to day as a supplement to your night time sleep.
- Exercise is a miracle drug - you just need to take it.
- Try unconventional equipment like kettlebells, clubs, maces and ropes.
- An ideal workout trains multiple power systems including mobility, flexibility, endurance, cardio, strength and power.
Reset and reconnect
- Loneliness kills. Forge deeper connections with yourself and your tribe.
- Create a little state shift to reconnect with yourself e.g. a glass of wine or puff of cannabis.
- Limit judgments that separate you from others by seeing them as you living a different life. Make the effort.
- Don't believe the bad advice about food. Your mind communicates with your body via emotions surrounding your choices, so any guilt, shame, etc will become reality. Learn to harness this power of belief to your benefit.
- Digestion is the foundation of nutrition. To optimise, eat slow, chew hard and increase levels of HCL and digestive enzymes. For peak sexual prowess with minimal gas, eat pro-sex foods that contain nitric oxide.
- If you cheat, cheat well. Minimise a high-carb meal by timing it after a workout and mitigate blood sugar spikes by taking a walk.
- Communicate. Let go of ego. Talk about your likes, dislikes and fantasies. Don't take it too seriously.
- Limit indulgence in porn, explore power exchange, be adventurous, master the squeeze (kegals).
- Support your hormone balance and manage nitric oxide. Attraction begins with the nose, so beware of masking natural smells and pheromones.
- If you don't turn off, you won't properly turn on. Let your phone go.
- Journal to deal with stress. Set your mission and objective for the following day. Purge anything you no longer want to carry.
- Wind down and cuddle with yourself or loved one one hour before bed. Read, play a game or watch a show.
- Think about sleep as cycles per week. Any form of polyphasic sleep, including napping counts.
- Eliminate blue lights, minimise distractions, make your room cool and dark and add oxygenating plants.
- Aim to sleep on your side and manage your bedtime hydration (to minimise bathroom visits).
- Forgive yourself for any imperfections. All you can do is your best. Perfection is a myth.
- Creating an ethos is a shortcut to mastering mental override. It prevents you from having to deliberate. Support yourself with positive self-talk.
- We are social creatures, designed to live in community with others. Ask others for support and to hold you accountable.